Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Throwback Tuesday: Paul's Boutique



So I was gonna spend this post talking some on my latin love -- Moombahton -- but then my iTunes took over and put on "Car Thief" off the Beastie Boys' classic Paul's Boutique and brought me to a whole new place. The beauty of music eh?

I came across Paul's Boutique about 8 years ago as a high school freshman. As a Jew with hip-hop  ambitions in New York's (:cough: specialized :cough:) public school system, it obviously struck a quick and funky chord within. The Beastie Boys were all I wanted to be, a bunch of goofy dudes, having a blast over some of the funkiest production ever, and "drinking and smoking on a Tuesday night."

I've never been a big lyric man. I can't hear them. My mind don't work that fast, and just goes straight for the beat. The production is so crazy on Boutique that it really doesn't matter. But the flow on this album even perked my ears.

'Cause I got more stories than JD got Salinger,
I hold the title and you are challenger.
I got money, like Charles Dickens,
Got the girlies in the Coupe like the Colonel got the chickens. 


I mean, c'mon. For the young, fried chicken loving, phony-hating, Great Expectations reading, hip-hop lover in us all, you can't ask for anything more.

Oh yeah, did I mention the production is the dopest fucking shit ever?!?!

Kick back, pop in your cassette, turn on your lava lamp, and just shake your head (or rump). Enjoy the remaining 15 minutes of your throwback Tuesday.

Beastie Boys - Shake Your Rump
Beastie Boys - Car Thief
Beastie Boys - Shadrach

PS- Paul's Boutique is in the picture

No comments:

Post a Comment