Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Body Language



Last spring I brought up Body Language to play music amongst the pine trees at my school in New Hampshire. While I wasn't sure if the mellow synth vibes and dreamy vocals would appeal to the drunken party masses, I trusted some reviews that said they killed it live. Let's just say they led 40 people running in a mad circle during "Huffy Ten Speed" and stole the show. Not to mention lead singer Angelica Bess jamming out on a mini xylophone (there's a name for this) was one of the more badass things I've seen.

Anywho, they recently put out a new 4 track EP called "Social Studies," and besides from being named after my favorite elementary school subject (sup Ms. Reisack!), it happens to hold it down pretty seriously. Starting with the spacy chilled out "You Can," Body Language hits their disco stride perfectly to a dope bass line with "Falling Out." While the verses feel like Chromeo, the chorus echoes more an Aaliyah-type R&B vibe. The third track "Social Studies" is the pop banger with hit potential. I remember them playing this up in NH, and everyone was having a blast. The EP rounds out with "Tempoture" which moves more experimental and into Dirty Projector-ish territory. They are an indie band after all.

Overall, the EP shows a lot of diversity without ever sounding gimicky or untrue to the band. They're a blast live and I suggest ringing in Hova's birthday with them on December 4th at Glasslands.

Check out the album on Bandcamp: http://bodylanguage.bandcamp.com/album/social-studies-ep
I think you will thoroughly enjoy it.

Remix time:

Body Language - Sandwiches (Alaska in Winter Remix)    so dopppeeee
Body Language - Work This City (Sammy Bananas Remix)

No comments:

Post a Comment